Wellness Wednesday: Start Improving Your Sleep
Last week, we established that sleep has many health benefits. Now the question is: How do we improve sleep quality? The following list includes healthy sleep hygiene tips. I recommend that you start with one, and then add to it.
- Stick to a sleep schedule, even on the weekends.
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual, and turn off electronics 1-2 hours before bed.
- Exercise daily. Come to The Peak enjoy a class, or workout on your own.
- Evaluate your room, and make sure it is cool and dark.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Avoid naps.
- Make sure to complete meals 3 hours prior to sleep.
- If possible, enjoy the sun for 30 minutes during the early morning, going for a walk or sitting outside on a porch or deck.
- Journal for 5-10 minutes in the evening, looking at your day ahead or noting any feelings or thoughts.
- If you can’t sleep, move to another room and avoid going on an electronic device or watching TV.
If you need some help with your sleep habits, consider taking some time to work one-on-one. As a Health Coach, improving sleep is one of many ways of helping people improve their lives and well-being.
Devorah Werner, Certified Health Coach
PA-C, RD, MSW
**Information from National Sleep Foundation